The Zen of Life

Over the last 10 years, I've developed into someone more zen. I've learned to meditate, used mindfulness in the last three years. It has helped to keep me calm even in the most trying times. In the last 30 years, I've been practising visualisation for success. I learned that in my competitive sports years. It set the sails so that my ship goes in the right direction in general, without much distractions. 

Lately, I've learned to respond correctly to every situation. You see, the key to happiness, success and building meaningful relationships is to respond appropriately and positively no matter what you get. It's a serve and volley game tennis game. 

50% of the time, life around you sucks. Your colleagues, friends, loved ones say something, do something that lets you down. You feel disappointed.
 
The other half the time, things according to your plan. You are happy. 

However, it also means you are happy only 50% of the time. If you are happy only half the time, your team around you can feel it. Morale around you won't be good. Some people, especially those working for you, may feel that they are stepping on egg shells. 

The key is to respond appropriately and positively even if what you hear or face isn't to your liking. I used to think that it is an "escape from reality" to smile even when life throws you lemons. But it is an incredibly good survival technique that not only lifts you up, makes others around you happier, but brings you success as well. 

To be successful in tennis, you need to serve half the time and receive a serve for the other half. You need to respond well when your opponents serve and they sure ain't gonna give you an easy time!

So I've slowly learned to respond positively and constructively whatever life serves me. It is a huge mindset change. Deep inside I knew this was the right thing to do for many years, but I've had a mentor reminded me again recently and this time it inprinted in me the importance of responding correctly and positively. 

Thanks again, my life's mentor. You have changed me for the better, gradually. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Funds Portfolio 14 Jan 2021

Lessons in Life

Performance Attribution