Second Leg of Sell Down Has Started

This is not financial advice. This is a sharing of what I intend to do or have done. Different people will have different risk appetite and preferences so whatever I do may not be suitable for you.

I sold off some equities and risky assets at an almost perfect timing. I started taking profit two weeks ago.  that was around 13 January 2020. I started taking profits with Hong Kong stocks, Meituan, China Medical Systems, BABA, Tencent. Then I moved on to US stocks, like UnitedHealth, Amazon, Alphabet etc. I also took profit from my China funds first, followed by global equity funds. I added inverse ETFs to my portfolio starting with Emerging Markets like EDZ, China like YANG US Equities. I followed up later with Europe and US inverse ETFs like EPV US, SPXS US.

Look at the Emerging Market ETF chart. It led the fall. I was right. The peak was on 13th Jan. It is now below the 150 days moving average. A fall has two legs usually. The first fall that caught many by surprise, a recovery that is pushed up by optimists. Finally the second leg of the drop where those who failed to sell at the peak take the rebound as a chance to sell again. It all ends in tears literally. The downside for Emerging Markets is rather limited now.




The downside for western market is probably another 5% at least. It is just touching the 50 days moving average.




Do stand by. I will personally be looking at tech China stocks like BABA, Tencent, Meituan, US stocks that I want to buy more, like Amazon, Alphabet, Facebook, Apple, 3M, Johnson & Johnson, funds like UBS China A Opportunity, Fidelity Emerging Markets, First State dividend advantage. Keep it simple.

Do watch the video below. This sell down isn't over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVsiStig0dk&t=104s



https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/asia/wuhan-coronavirus-update-intl-hnk/index.html

The virus contagion from Wuhan is not over. I pray for the safety of all and for common sense to prevail. I hope that socieites won't resort to racist taunts against all oriental looking people as it is not their fault they are infected. This virus appears to be more infectious than SARS but the fatality rate is not as high. Many who are infected probably recovered without seeing a doctor and hence the fatality rate may be even much lower than 2%. Therefore the fatality rate may even be lower than common flu which has a rate of 3 to 6%.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Funds Portfolio 14 Jan 2021

Performance Attribution

Lessons in Life